We are CUPE Local 2544!
The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 2544 represents approximately 1,500 Members working in the following capacities for the Peel District School Board: Custodians, Maintenance Workers, AV Repairpersons, Printer/Bindery Persons, Digital Equipment Operators, Inventory Warehouse Clerks and Food Services Workers.
CUPE 2544 came into existence on August 20, 1981, and is a democratic Union where the members make the decisions and set the policies. At all levels it is the rank-and-file members who determine by majority vote what we do.
Our goal is to improve the social and economic welfare of our Members without regard to sex, colour, race or creed, to promote efficiency in public employment and to manifest its belief in the value of the unity of organized labour.
The goals of CUPE 2544 are achieved through the following methods:
- forming cooperative relations between the Peel District School Board and our members;
- promoting desirable laws;
- educating the public about the challenges facing public employees;
- forming and supporting central and provincial bodies of public employees to deal with matters specific to an area or province and to assist the Union with organizing;
- working with the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC), its chartered organizations and affiliated unions to strengthen the labour movement; and
- working with the Public Services International (PSI) and the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC).